Universal Matter Inc., a Canadian owned company, was formed in July 2019 to scale-up and commercialize a breakthrough process to produce the most economical and highest-quality graphene, that is also turbostratic in nature. This proprietary Flash Joule Heating (FJH) process can also utilize a very broad range of carbon-based feedstock materials, including recycled plastics, recycled rubber, coal, petcoke, biomass, etc. This technology and additional developments are expected to support broad adoption of graphene across several major industries. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, with a US subsidiary in Houston, TX, the company is opening Innovation Centers in both countries. Our proprietary commercial process is based on an invention by Dr. James Tour professor of organic chemistry and nanotechnology at Rice University in Houston, Texas and co-founder and scientific advisor to our company. We have secured funding to design and build the first manufacturing demonstration line and have it operational by early 2022.
Project Engineering Manager/Director Position Summary:
Work with our internal team of engineers and scientists to develop and steward the detailed plan to advance the scaling our current lab/pilot process (TRL4) to full manufacturing demonstration scale (TRL7). Lead/support engagement with vendors and outside engineering firms to execute the project on schedule and within budgetary constraints. Lead/support efforts to identify site location and secure necessary acquisition and/or site construction. Utilize project management methods and software tools to also support product and application development team members.
This is a new position, a recently developed process, and a young company, so responsibilities will vary widely according to the needs of the business. At Universal Matter, you will be given the opportunity to participate and join in the growth stage of a startup company and contribute at all levels to make an impact.
Position Responsibilities – Primary:
- Responsible for managing complex technical and engineering projects and ensuring successful project outcomes.
- Maintain budgets, supervise personnel/vendors and oversee the planning and implementation of projects
- Creates clear work plans and timetables using web-based tools
- Ensure projects are completed safely, on time and on budget at the quality expectations of the plan
- Ensures thorough engineering and project documentation
- Conducts effective negotiations with prospective vendors
- Communicates and stewards plans to stakeholders and business management.
- Assesses and ensures compliance with applicable safety and quality standards.
- Track performance and analyze the completion of key goals.
- Contributes to company/team efforts by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in engineering or related field (graduate degree preferred): Mechatronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science & Engineering.
Also prefer P. Eng. License.
- 5-7+ years in project management/process development/engineering for materials manufacturing
- 3-5+ years of team leadership
- Prefer Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or other specialized certification.
- Prefer a Professional Engineer license
- Prefer candidate with experience scaling early-stage process technology (TRL4) to manufacturing demonstration scale (TRL7)
Project Engineering Manager/Director Qualifications/Skills:
- Performance Dimensions:
- Meets commitments, is high energy, self-motivated, works independently, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Excellent analytical and computational skills
- Excellent analytical and computational skills
- Ability to persuade others to change existing practices
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to identify, assess, and solve problems
- Proficient with computer and information technology (e.g. advanced analytical tools for data mining & analysis)
- Knowledge of project engineering management software systems
- Knowledge and adherence with applicable health and safety regulations
- Work efficiently and productively in independent and team settings.
- Demonstrate these additional values/characteristics as part of our team: Communication, Judgement, Impact, Curiosity, Honesty, Innovation, Courage, Passion, Humility
- Leadership Dimensions:
- Exemplary adherence to high standards of business conduct
- Creates ownership and commitment
- Correctly assesses the risk and return of decisions
- Effectively manage external relationships
Comprehensive Compensation Package:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience and education
- Industry competitive benefits for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid holidays, and vacation
- Incentive compensation, including ESOP, based on individual and business results
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Work “hands on” in laboratory environment and connected office area
Innovation Center (MIC), Mississauga, Ontario (hosted at the Xerox Research Center)
The position is Exempt. May require the ability to work overtime to meet required deadlines. All work rules, including those that pertain to safety and health are expected to be respected and complied.