Universal Matter Inc. was formed in July 2019 to scale-up and commercialize a breakthrough process to produce the most economical and highest-quality graphene, that is also turbostratic in nature. This proprietary Flash Joule Heating process can also utilize a very broad range of carbon-based feedstock materials, including recycled plastics, recycled rubber, coal, petcoke, metcoke, biomass, etc. This technology and additional developments are expected to support broad adoption of graphene across several major industries. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, with U.S. headquarters in Houston, TX, the company has opened Innovation Centers in both locations. Our proprietary commercial process is based on an invention by Dr. James Tour, Professor of Materials Science and Nanoengineering at Rice University in Houston, Texas, and co-founder and scientific advisor to our company.
Process Engineer II Position Summary
Support the development of production processes for converting a diverse range of carbon-based feedstocks into high quality turbostratic graphene. Responsible for developing, testing/analyzing, implementing, and scaling this new production process. Work with the full technical team to determine equipment needed to advance and scale the process. Acquire equipment components and install as needed. Carefully document these new processes so they may be replicated and ensure that all processes comply with industry safety regulations. This is a new position, a recently developed process, and a new company, so responsibilities will vary widely according to the needs of the business. At Universal Matter, you will be given the opportunity to participate and join in the growth stage of a startup company and contribute at all levels to make an impact.
Position Responsibilities – Primary
- Assesses existing processes and workflows.
- Advances process development by analyzing, implementing, and testing new ideas that support key performance parameters: yield, productivity, and scale-ability.
- Hands on operation of processing machinery at lab-pilot scale, optimization of procedures, standardization of Graphene production methods, defining SOPs, and process controls.
- Perform process capabilities analysis by using applicable statistical methods, define critical to quality parameters and key products characteristics as part of process scale up and transfer of knowledge to production environment, including but not limited to process implementation and qualification.
- Assembles reports to document process status and changes.
- Identifies and tracks key process metrics to discover areas for improvement and monitor upgrades.
- Communicates findings and proposals effectively to technical colleagues and business management.
- Utilizes process simulation software to test and find the most appropriate production strategies.
- Documents and provides thorough instructions for successful implementation of process changes.
- Conducts risk assessments, FMEA, and outlines suggested courses of action.
- Assesses compliance with applicable safety and quality standards.
- Contributes to departmental efforts by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or related field (graduate degree preferred): Mechatronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science & Engineering.
- 2-5 years in process development/engineering for materials manufacturing.
- Must be comfortable with supporting and scaling recently developed process technology.
Process Engineer II Qualifications/Skills
- Meets commitments, is high energy, self-motivated, works independently, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Excellent analytical and math skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Open to learning new technologies and areas of importance
- Competency level should allow the employee to author internal reports and test plans
- Ability to persuade others to change and refine existing practices
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to identify, assess, and solve problems
- Proficient with computer and information technology (e.g. advanced analytical tools for data mining, data analysis, and familiarity with programming)
- Knowledge of process engineering software systems
- Familiarity with applicable health and safety regulations
- Ability to safely work in a laboratory and operations environment
- Works efficiently and productively in independent and team settings.
- Demonstrates these additional values/characteristics as part of our team: Impact, Curiosity, Honesty, Innovation, Courage, Passion, and Humility.
Comprehensive Compensation Package
- Competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience and education
- Industry competitive benefits for medical, life insurance, and long-term disability, paid holidays, and vacation
- Incentive compensation based on individual and business results
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Work “hands on” in laboratory environment, routinely handling objects weighing up to 20kg. This position is expected to move to the Demo Plant site in Burlington, ON when that site is operational in late 2022.
Initially our Innovation Center in Mississauga, ON and then Burlington, ON when the new site is operational in late 2022.
The position is Exempt. May require the ability to work overtime to meet required deadlines. All work rules, including those that pertain to safety and health are expected to be respected and complied.