Universal Matter Inc., a Canadian owned company, was formed in July 2019 to scale-up and commercialize a breakthrough process to produce the most economical and highest-quality graphene, that is also turbostratic in nature. Our proprietary Flash Joule Heating (FJH) process can also utilize a very broad range of carbon-based feedstock materials, including recycled plastics, recycled rubber, coal, petroleum coke, biomass, etc. This technology and additional developments are expected to support broad adoption of graphene across several major industries. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, with a US subsidiary in Houston, TX, the company has Innovation Centers in both countries. Our innovative commercial process is based on an invention by Dr. James Tour, Professor of Materials Science & NanoEngineering at Rice University in Houston, Texas and co-founder/scientific advisor to our company. We have secured funding to design and build the first manufacturing demonstration line and have it operational by late 2022.
Engineering Technician Position Summary:
This position will support our leading Scientists/Process Engineers to advance our FJH technology to produce Turbostratic Graphene and subsequent dispersions. The Engineer I will have the chance to exercise exceptional problem-solving skills in a lab environment to ensure excellent execution of diverse projects and reporting/analysis of results. There will also be opportunities to assist in the design and full execution of forward projects.
This is a new position, a recently developed process, and a new company, so responsibilities will vary widely according to the needs of the business. At Universal Matter, you will be given the opportunity to participate and join in the growth stage of a young company and contribute at all levels to make an impact.
Position Responsibilities – Primary:
- Communicate with project managers to detail the requirements of the project, as well as plan and prepare for the necessary steps to complete the assigned project.
- Create comprehensive project plans that provide details and the necessary information for the successful execution.
- Perform regular quality control checks to ensure that each component of the project adheres to the high standards of the company. Identify and elevate key observations/results that may be outside of expectations.
- Develop and propose new ideas or revise current practices for a more effective operation that continues to produce the highest quality products.
- After training, effectively operate the FJH lab process on a regular basis to produce graphene for characterization and application testing.
- Create clear work plans and timetables.
- Assist building necessary lab apparatuses and tools, focused on improving the flash joule heating process
- Ensure projects are completed safely, on time and at the quality expectations of the plan.
- Practice thorough engineering and project documentation.
- Communicate and steward projects to stakeholders.
- Assess and ensure compliance with applicable safety, cleanliness, and quality standards.
- Track performance and analyze the completion of key goals.
- Contribute to company/team efforts by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or related field: Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, or Mechatronic Engineering.
- Some previous work experience preferred (~1-2 years) in lab environment: e.g. Intern, Co-Op Student, or Full-time position.
Engineering Technician Qualifications/Skills:
- Performance Dimensions:
- Meet commitments, is high energy, self-motivated, works independently, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Proficient in and willing to work hands-on in mechanical and electrical systems; familiarity with high power electrical systems a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to persuade others to change existing practices.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to identify, assess, and solve problems.
- Proficient with computer and information technology; familiarity with C++ and Python a plus.
- Knowledge of project engineering management software systems.
- Knowledge and adherence with applicable health and safety regulations.
- Work efficiently and productively in independent and team settings.
- Resourceful and skilled with common mechanical and electrical tools.
- Demonstrate these additional values/characteristics as part of our team: Impact, Curiosity, Honesty, Innovation, Courage, Passion, Humility.
Comprehensive Compensation Package:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience and education.
- Industry competitive benefits for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid holidays, and vacation.
- Incentive compensation based on individual and business results.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Work “hands on” in laboratory environment and connected office area
Must have valid work permit for USA, pass background check, and have valid US driver’s license
Universal Matter Innovation Center, Houston, Texas
The position is Exempt. May require the ability to work overtime to meet required deadlines. All work rules, including those that pertain to safety and health are expected to be respected and complied.