Universal Matter Inc., a Canadian owned company, was formed in July 2019 to scale-up and commercialize a breakthrough process to produce the most economical and highest-quality graphene, that is also turbostratic in nature. This proprietary Flash Joule Heating (FJH) process can also utilize a very broad range of carbon-based feedstock materials, including recycled rubber and plastics (post pyrolysis process), coal, petcoke, biochar, etc. This technology and additional developments are expected to support broad adoption of graphene across several major industries. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, with a US subsidiary in Houston, TX, and a UK subsidiary in Redcar UK, the company is operating Innovation Centers in all three countries. Universal Matter acquired the operating business of Applied Graphene Materials (UK) in late March of this year. Our proprietary commercial process is based on an invention by Dr. James Tour professor of organic chemistry and nanotechnology at Rice University in Houston, Texas and co-founder and scientific advisor to our company. Our Demonstration Plant in Burlington ON Canada is expected to be operational by late 3rd quarter 2023.
Business Development Manager
The role of Business Development Manager is an outstanding opportunity to play a key part in and benefit from, helping to form the long-term future of a leading industry-leading organisation. This position will take full ownership of the technical sales and business development for its areas of responsibility to maximise the business’s commercial success.
The role is more than ably supported by a sales, marketing and technical team as well as an industry-respected senior leadership team. The role will be expected to own and deliver the new Sales and Business Development strategy and the overall customer experience/customer engagement – a key factor in ensuring maximum commercial gain.
At Universal Matter, you will be given the opportunity to participate and join in the growth stage of a young company and contribute at all levels to make an impact.
- To manage customers both commercially and technically through regular contact and develop and implement strategies for profitable sales growth.
- To increase visibility and penetration within new and existing clients.
- Proactively identify new customer and business development opportunities.
- Develop, monitor and achieve sales pipeline.
- To execute a sales and business development strategy for new target markets.
- To help develop the business systems and processes to manage sustained and profitable growth.
- Ambitious, determined, personable and reliable with high standards of professionalism and a willingness to get involved in driving a new business and build an exciting, long-term career.
- Demonstrated ability to build long-standing and successful relationships with key clients.
- Ideally located in Germany, UK or Benelux. Prepared to travel frequently within the UK and Europe as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in a science, engineering or business-based subject, ideally with a minimum of 7 years industrial experience in comparable businesses.
- A strong technical background in paints, coatings, dispersion or related fields would be a distinct advantage.
- Ideally will have a strong business development/sales background with experience in strategic, solution-based selling within a technically led industry.
- Experience in selling and dealing with ‘value added’ highly technical services/products.
- An excellent communicator, in all forms, with the necessary confidence and business awareness to enthusiastically and persuasively present a case.
- Performance Dimensions:
- Meets commitments, is high energy, self-motivated, works independently, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and computational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to persuade and influence others.
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to identify, assess, and solve problems
- Work efficiently and productively in independent and team settings.
- Demonstrate these additional values/characteristics as part of our team: Impact, Curiosity, Honesty, Innovation, Courage, Passion, Humility
Comprehensive Compensation Package:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience and education
- Industry competitive benefits for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid holidays, and vacation
- Incentive compensation based on individual and business results
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
EU (Prefer Germany or Benelux countries) or UK based position