Universal Matter Inc., a Canadian company, was formed in July 2019 to scale-up and commercialize a breakthrough process to produce graphene. This proprietary process can also utilize a range of carbonbased feedstock materials (e.g., recycled plastics, recycled rubber, coal, petcoke, biomass, etc.) which is expected to support broad adoption of graphene across several major industries. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, with a US subsidiary in Houston, TX, the company has opened Innovation Centers in both locations. The Company is currently designing the first manufacturing demonstration plant in Burlington, Ontario which is expected to be operational by late 2022.
Staff Accountant Position Summary
This full-time position will support our CFO, who works out of Houston, Texas. Accounting responsibilities will vary and very likely expand as the business grows and commences commercial sales.
Position Responsibilities – Primary
- Interaction with the Company’s procurement system (eRequisition), including setup of new vendors, confirmation and setup of payment instructions and processes, and reconciliation of procurement documentation to payment records
- Preparation of periodic payment runs via the Company’s banking accounts inclusive of wire transfers, ACH and EFT
- Monitoring of the Company cash position
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliation for CAD and USD accounts.
- Preparation of monthly credit card purchases including review of supporting receipts/invoices for compliance with Company policies
- Preparation of monthly reconciliation for inter-company transactions and accounts
- Review of employee expense reports and process of payment
- ADP payroll admin, set up new employees, make changes to payroll for bonuses, wage changes, leaves, etc.
- Preparation of quarterly tax filings (e.g., WSIB, HST, Franchise Taxes, Workers Comp, Form 1099, etc.)
- Preparation of monthly and annual journal entries into the Company accounting system
- Preparation of monthly capital expenditures report into the Company’s registers and journal entries related thereto
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly consolidated financial statements
- Preparation of schedules in support of the Company annual audit and income tax filings
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Minimum of ~10 years of work experience
- Experience with QuickBooks (required), Microsoft Dynamics (preferred)
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office products
Staff Accountant Qualifications/Skills
- Meets commitments, high energy, self-motivated, works independently, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements
- Excellent analytical and computational skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to identify, assess, and solve problems
Comprehensive Compensation Package
- Competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience and education
- Industry competitive benefits for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid holidays, and vacation days
- Incentive compensation based on individual and business results
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Initially, work will be done remotely from place of residence with in-person meetings periodically. When the Burlington Demonstration Plant/Office renovations are completed later in the year, the location of position may change. Must have valid work permit for Canada, pass background check, and have valid Canadian driver’s license.
Not applicable to part time. This full-time position is exempt. May require the ability to work overtime to meet required deadlines. All work rules, including those that pertain to safety and health, are expected to be respected and complied with.