Universal Matter Inc., a Canadian owned company, was formed in July 2019 to scale-up and commercialize a breakthrough process to produce the most economical and highest-quality graphene, that is also turbostratic in nature. This proprietary Flash Joule Heating (FJH) process can also utilize a very broad range of carbon-based feedstock materials, including recycled plastics, recycled rubber, coal, petcoke, biomass, etc. This technology and additional developments are expected to support broad adoption of graphene across several major industries. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada, with a US subsidiary in Houston, TX, the company is opening Innovation Centers in both countries. Our proprietary commercial process is based on an invention by Dr. James Tour professor of organic chemistry and nanotechnology at Rice University in Houston, Texas and co-founder and scientific advisor to our company. We have secured funding to design and build the first manufacturing demonstration line and have it operational by early 2022.
Engineering Technician Position Summary:
This position will support our leading Scientists/Process Engineers to advance our FJH technology to produce Turbostratic Graphene and subsequent dispersions. The Technician will have the chance to exercise exceptional problem-solving skills in a lab environment to ensure excellent execution of diverse projects and reporting/analysis of results. There will also be opportunities to assist in the design and full execution of forward projects.
This is a new position, a recently developed process, and a new company, so responsibilities will vary widely according to the needs of the business. At Universal Matter, you will be given the opportunity to participate and join in the growth stage of a young company and contribute at all levels to make an impact.
Position Responsibilities – Primary:
- Communicate with project managers to detail the requirements of the project, as well as plan and prepare for the necessary steps to complete the assigned project.
- Create comprehensive project plans that provide details and the necessary information for the successful execution.
- Perform regular quality control checks to ensure that each component of the project adheres to the high standards of the company. Elevate key observations/results that may be outside of expectations.
- Develop and propose new ideas or revise current practices for a more effective operation that continues to produce the highest quality products.
- Creates clear work plans and timetables
- Ensure projects are completed safely, on time and at the quality expectations of the plan
- Ensures thorough engineering and project documentation
- Communicates and stewards projects to stakeholders.
- Assesses and ensures compliance with applicable safety and quality standards.
- Track performance and analyze the completion of key goals.
- Contributes to company/team efforts by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or related field: Mechatronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,
- Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science & Engineering;
- Associates degree (2 years) with 5 years’ experience in chemical lab environment would also be considered.
- Some previous work experience preferred (~1-2 years) in lab environment: e.g., Intern, Co-Op Student, or Full-time position
Project Engineering Manager/Director Qualifications/Skills:
- Performance Dimensions:
- Meets commitments, is high energy, self-motivated, works independently, accepts accountability, handles changes, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Excellent analytical and computational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to persuade others to change existing practices
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to identify, assess, and solve problems
- Proficient with computer and information technology (e.g. advanced analytical tools for data mining & analysis)
- Knowledge of project engineering management software systems
- Knowledge and adherence with applicable health and safety regulations
- Work efficiently and productively in independent and team settings.
- Demonstrate these additional values/characteristics as part of our team: Communication, Judgement, Impact, Curiosity, Honesty, Innovation, Courage, Passion, Humility
Comprehensive Compensation Package:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience and education
- Industry competitive benefits for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, paid holidays, and vacation
- Incentive compensation, including ESOP, based on individual and business results
Comprehensive Compensation Package:
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Work “hands on” in laboratory environment and connected office area
Innovation Center (MIC), Mississauga, Ontario (hosted at the Xerox Research Center)
The position is Exempt. May require the ability to work overtime to meet required deadlines. All work rules, including those that pertain to safety and health are expected to be respected and complied.